Lancaster ArtWalk, a self-guided tour of downtown galleries. 2016 dates are:
- Spring ArtWalk – May 7 & 8
- Fall ArtWalk – October 8 & 9
Special exhibitions, meet-the-artist events, children’s activities and live demonstrations are all available for discovery within the bustling independent galleries of Lancaster city.
Art Walks have a long history in the City of Lancaster. Back in 1965, the first art walk was organized by the Community Gallery, now the Lancaster Museum of Art. The event was called Art Sunday and occurred on the first Sunday in October. It was a special day for promoting local artists and galleries, and included both city and county venues. Arts venues were fewer and father between at that time. Downtown was a quieter place and there were no First Fridays. Thanks to the Community Gallery/Lancaster Museum of Art, Art Sunday continued every year and became well-established in the yearly calendar of events. Over time, Art Sunday grew and became more diversified in the types of venues participating.
In 1984, the Lancaster Gallery Association decided to create a similar event in the spring (as Art Sunday), but on a smaller scale. The original name for this new event was Art Walk, and it was designed to showcase galleries in the City of Lancaster. In recent years, the event has included a Kid Walk, too. Art Walk was organized by the gallery owners themselves. Responsibility moved from volunteer to volunteer every six to eight years.
Previous Interviews & Press
- Lancast, April 2013
- Wood Stove House, April 2013
- “If First Friday is a taste…”, LNP, Oct. 2012
- Walking with Art, LNP, Oct. 2012
- Art Community Throws Open Door, LNP, Sept. 2012
- Nick Mohler is in step with ArtWalk, LNP, May 2012
- Lancaster’s Spring ArtWalk will be hands-on, LNP, April 2012
- A picture perfect ArtWalk, LNP, Oct. 2011
- Hershey’s Art makes a bigger statement, LNP, Oct. 2011
- A brush with communal creativity, LNP, May 2011
- Lancaster ArtWalk, Handmade in PA blog, May 2011
- ArtWalk takes a calmer tone than First Friday, LNP, May 2011
- Art popping up all over, LNP, May 2011
- Get your ArtWalk sneakers on, LNP, Oct. 2010
Questions can be sent to 717-413-0094 or firstname.lastname@example.org